Sign in to follow this  
S15200

PING! SR20

Hey people, long story short, had a boost issue. and i was currently running a bleed valve... promblem solved i put a boost controller in ( bleed style..Fixed) but now i have noticed that the car would PING! on 15psi. i am running FULL ZORST, FMIC, POD- i backed it off to 12-13 and its fine- Should it be pinging on such minimal boost, ive heard on SR20's coping 18psi and still not pinging, (is this true).. What is the Dictionary meaning of PING!???? Why does it happen?

Are there any long standing effects against a PING!- and would also love to know what boost level other members have been running with similar setups. Cheers.

And to rid the ping off, i am getting it ready for a tune- i have a WOLF V4 and 740 injectors, would this be sutiable?

What fuel are you running? Standard fuel pump?

yeah you failed to mention if its adequately fueled?

hows your tune etc

just like 80% of questions on here, they don't provide adequate details, how are people supposed to help out, read minds?

take it to your tuner to see if the tune is safe!

you shouldn't be running 15psi on the stock computer without it being tuned, any wonder its pinging!!!

740 injectors will be too big for the stock turbo, and very hard for your tuner to tune!

i am running FULL ZORST, FMIC, POD- i backed it off to 12-13 and its fine-

If that's all you're running atm then no bloody wonder!

No way in hell you're gonna reliably run 18psi through a setup with only exhaust, FMIC and pod. You will need a decent fuel system (i'd recommend an 040 and 740cc injectors) plus a remap or aftermarket ECU to be running any more than 14psi max.

i do have standard pump at the moment- 040, injectors, 740cc, 3071r and WOLF v4 are going in very soonish!

There was half a tank on juice- optimax-

i just heard of SR being boosted more then 15 psi, and not pinging!

Mine is standard s15 sr20....... 15psi on 98 octane..... standard fuel pump standard regulator...... go figure... check your timing again..... with the tps unplugged and the idle is set at 850rpm then check your tps voltage.... and the ecu is seeing that voltage as closed....

On a stock turbo you really don't want to boost it more than 14 pounds. Also its not a tuned car so boosting doesn't mean the car will run as well on higher boost as it did on lower boost. Get it tuned and boost it whilst it is being tuned, then you know the car is getting the right amound of petrol for that psi.....

18psi on a stock turbo would kill the turbo very quickly...... esp when not tuned.

the pinging isn't necessarly related to the boost, it's (most of the time) tune (i.e.fuel/timing) related. If you wanted to you could make an engine ping on any boost. So saying that you have heard of SR20's running 18psi with out pinging problems has nothing to do with your car becasue you aren't running the same tune.

ive only seen s15's with those mods not dangerous lean at 19psi when they had replacement FPR with teh fuel presure wound right up.

stock fuel pressure, 13-14psi would be very tops otherwise

check for vacuum leaks, timing, use 98 octane, make sure petrol filter not slightly blocked, and clean ur injectors... i was running 18 psi standard everyhting except exhaust, air filter and fmic ran like a dream

bring the boost back down until you get all the supporting mods in otherwise you are going to blow your motor

pinging means the tune is not right - probably running lean which means theres not enough fuel in there. to find out about pinging, google it, aka pre-ignition. sr20s can handle sky high boost if you build it for that, and at the moment your motor is not built or tuned to run more than 12-13psi. you only have a limited amount of fuel going in there and you're cramming more and more air in which is throwing things out of wack. if you put in more air (boost), you need more fuel. same goes if you run nitrous - you need to run more fuel as well.

oh yeah a pinging motor is a quick way to a dead motor. you can literally blow it apart in extreme circumstances.

When you say pinging? what's the car doing?

Definitions can get mixed up - I've definitely done it.

i just heard of SR being boosted more then 15 psi, and not pinging!

It depends on how it makes that boost. If it spikes to 15psi then trails off through the midrange to 12-13psi then you're not gonna have much of a problem with knock. If it holds, you might have issues.

Shell out $50 to get your car put on a dyno for a few runs and check your AFRs. I can almost guarantee you that you're running too much boost and it's leaning out. Other cars may have run 15psi but that doesn't mean yours can, every car's different (there are some freak cars out there for some reason).

there is no tune. its a stock ECU- i guess the best way is to chuck it on the dyno!

at high rpm under load in was making a retarded sound- had a mate in the car who know a thing or three, and he said it was pinging, so i turned the boost down. :yes:

was the sound like a 20 cent coin in a milo tin?

there is no tune. its a stock ECU- i guess the best way is to chuck it on the dyno!

at high rpm under load in was making a retarded sound- had a mate in the car who know a thing or three, and he said it was pinging, so i turned the boost down. :yes:

Fair enough.

I had an issue at high boost, where the car would jolt.

Turns out it was misfiring due to the spark gap being too big.

What size injectors are you running now?

And what fuel pump?

injectors are stock, pump stock.

D_Stirls Posted Today, 03:10 AM

was the sound like a 20 cent coin in a milo tin?

SPOT ON! exactly like that :yes: good way of putting it :lol:

you're crazy

:wacko:

Anything over 12psi is generally leaving the safety zone, especially for stock injectors and a stock pump.

So it is probably the case that you leaned out.

I've heard rumors that they can handle upto 14psi, but it's kind of maxxing them out and really making yourself prone.

To be safe, just keep it at 12psi, until you upgrade to bigger injectors, a better fuel pump and get a tune - at minimum.