Sign in to follow this  
adamr32

R34 GTT unusual sound

got abit of a problem, recently my bros 34 gtt has been making this unusual high pitched/rattling sound during the higher end of the rev range in 1st and second gear and also in neutral. it sounds like the last part of the spool of the turbo before he changes gears, it makes a very high pitched whistling sound which never used to be there...we took it to chasers and they suggested its a blown turbo, but it doesnt sound thaaaaaat bad and u can still feel the full boost and no black smoke....any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

got abit of a problem, recently my bros 34 gtt has been making this unusual high pitched/rattling sound during the higher end of the rev range in 1st and second gear and also in neutral. it sounds like the last part of the spool of the turbo before he changes gears, it makes a very high pitched whistling sound which never used to be there...we took it to chasers and they suggested its a blown turbo, but it doesnt sound thaaaaaat bad and u can still feel the full boost and no black smoke....any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

sounds like turbo to me.

^^ nope my mates 34gtt had a kind of issue like this aswell, except it was in every gear it made a screaming noise, it got louder and higher longer he left it.

basically what he told me was that the bolts from the manifold have come loose + that and the gasket could also be damaged. so just check those from the turbo to the exhaust manifold.

Agreed ^^ It is turbo related. My experience was I had a broken turbo gasket, which also produced a similar sound :) It still could be turbo as well. Better you check our the first and then if it's not it, then turbo :(