Sign in to follow this  
JTMS13

Good deal for boot holes fill and respray

Does anyone know a place that can do a good deal on filling and shaving my boot lid? I called up a few local places and they wanted to charge around $350, which seems a bit steep. In saying that though I don't know anything about panel beating. Thanks guys.

$350 is the going rate everywhere pretty much, good price

Wow I had no idea it was so expensive, was hoping it would only cost around 200.

Do you even know what's involved in filling boot holes?

There's surface prep, the welding, further surface prep (of the whole boot lid!), the primering, even more surface prep, then painting, and then you'll probably want it buffed to match the quater panels.

What about taking into account paint fade? What if the quater panels need blending? What about dings and rust repairs?

if everyone quotes about the same price, how can you believe it is a steep price?

General impression of the work involved, based on zero experience...

Wow I had no idea it was so expensive, was hoping it would only cost around 200.

Having done it myself, $350 including paint is totally reasonable imo. The welding only takes an hour, but the paint much longer to complete and involves consumables. If they're using $50 worth of paint, thinners, bog and sandpaper, then even if they got the prep and paint done in a superfast 2 hours, then you're still only looking at around a rate of pay of $100p/h.

Go hire a plumber some time. $80 callout fee, plus a rate of pay of at least $60 p/h.

gaffa tape/rubber bungs costs $7, try that if you want to be a cheapskate.

Edited by HumanHefner

if everyone quotes about the same price, how can you believe it is a steep price?

Having done it myself, $350 including paint is totally reasonable imo. The welding only takes an hour, but the paint much longer to complete and involves consumables. If they're using $50 worth of paint, thinners, bog and sandpaper, then even if they got the prep and paint done in a superfast 2 hours, then you're still only looking at around a rate of pay of $100p/h.

Go hire a plumber some time. $80 callout fee, plus a rate of pay of at least $60 p/h.

Lets not confuse hourly rate with pay rate ;) Hourly rate is what YOU pay, pay rate is what the tradesman gets paid per hour from that, which makes up their wage.

Otherwise people will start thinking panel beaters, spray painters and mechanics are loaded :lol:

Lets not confuse hourly rate with pay rate ;) Hourly rate is what YOU pay, pay rate is what the tradesman gets paid per hour from that, which makes up their wage.

Otherwise people will start thinking panel beaters, spray painters and mechanics are loaded :lol:

And loaded, we are not!!!

Indeed, I was only referring to the cost from the consumer's perspective.

Indeed, I was only referring to the cost from the consumer's perspective.

:thumbsup:

I would recommend if you do this, pay the money to get any rust taken care of good and proper, if you have rust, i took mine back and had it done again as i was getting tiny bubbles forming from rust coming back within 12 weeks but only on one hole. Its not worth doing if not done correct imo, but then again its rust! Such a kaint....

Paint earplugs colour of choice.

Stuff them in.

Ghetto stylin.

i just picked myself up a shaved boot for $60 clean a feck and a bonnet stripped to bare metal with 1 tiny dent $10 Maaaaaad!

Seems like a good price, it is a pain of a job to get perfect.

Ressurecting threads.

If you have custom paint, It depends on teh painter.

And what I'd love to know, How the f**k is $350 a bit steep? Paint and Panel ain't cheap unless you want a dodgy cover up *facepalm*

because 350 IS expensive when the cars only worth 400 with a full tank of fuel and an ounce in the glovebox