Sign in to follow this  
chaos85

Good, fair priced workshops in Melbourne..

Hey guys,

I have an S15 and have a heap of parts in my possession waiting to be installed and much more on the way. I called up a renowned workshop for some quotes and was gob-smacked. Something like close to $400 to fit a clutch, $500 to fit an intercooler and intake pipe.. Suffice to say that is an exorbitant amount and am looking elsewhere. Who does quality work at a good price? Need to be able to tune an aftermarket ECU also(Power FC D-Jetro)...

Ummmmmmmm if your complaining about that you won't be impressed with the pricing of a tune.

Better purchase a RC version of a 15.

I don't mind paying $600 for a tune. However paying $500 for an intercooler install or $400 for changing the clutch is a bit rich.

• Downvote 1

I don't mind paying $600 for a tune as that is the going rate. However paying $500 for an intercooler install or $400 for changing the clutch is a bit rich.

Tune $950-$1200, prob make up some shit that the d-Jetro is hardier and will take longer and charge you $1400.

It's all standard pricing brotha.

We charge $121 per hour.

Edited by TRUNYA

I know Forced Motorworx know their S chassis, not sure on pricing though, have not had much done yet.

lol get used to it buddy, its called labor, none of us work for free

last clutch we did at work on an s14 i think we charged around 3 - 350 in labour

that was in sydney

i dont think what they quoted you is over priced

think about what is involved in those jobs, it takes longer then u might think

if u dont like it learn to do your own work

motor sports is not a cheap hobby

prob make up some shit that the d-Jetro is hardier and will take longer

d jetro being a map sensor ECU do actually take longer to tune compared to your normal afm power fc

but yeah 900 to 1200 is what is normally charged for a D jetro

Pretty standard price for a clutch install. Many places these days are charging around $100/hr in labour. Get ready for a shock when it comes time to tune.

what would you consider a fair price?

love how people want work done for next to nothing, go get an electrician or plumber to do some work on your house, you will soon realise a mechanic doesn't charge much for the time they spend!

U should really give it a go yourself

U will save money and u will realize you were not over charged

The question here is what do YOU think is a reasonable price for a clutch change? I really want a laugh.

Thought $400 was pretty reasonable.

No need to be a bunch of *milkshakes* about it.

Edited by chaos85

Lol

Finally getting some laughs from this place again

• Upvote 1

Not overpriced at all. Time costs money and hourly rates arnt cheap. Maybe take it to profix ;)

I'm with kemp maybe try doing it yourself, many of us do and trust me it's a headfuk laying on your back changing a clutch.

If you can't do it yourself you pay someone.

Wait until shit breaks in your sr or you destroy the gear box lol

Edited by R32GTRS

those prices are good man, if you can't afford it I suggest you get some bro-skills :)

My friends and I are self taught, heck I even taught myself how to tune... I've never seen a mechanic OR a tuner since 2004

You are complaining about the cost of labour. I suggest u do it yourself n then you will see the value in it! Wise man say.

The question here is what do YOU think is a reasonable price for a clutch change? I really want a laugh.

I was mainly surprised at the intercooler install more so than the clutch install.

I was mainly surprised at the intercooler install more so than the clutch install.

I was going to laugh and give you shit saying $400 is overpriced, When really, $400 from any "reputable" shop is a lot cheaper than what I've paid in the past. Mind you, A "Backyarder" (But one of SA's finest drift talent) did my last clutch install for $250ish :P

I can understand the cooler install; Keeping in mind, A lot of people cheap out and buy cheap coolers off eBay, Which usually tend to be China copies; These aren't so easy to install. Hence I daresay the price reflects this.

I've always said, If you ever come across something you think is pricey, Research and find out what work is involved. Usually the work shop will be charging accordingly for the job. So don't complain.

There is still a few hours work in doing a intercooler kit

Most time is spent removing all the standard intercooler parts

There is still a few hours work in doing a intercooler kit

Most time is spent removing all the standard intercooler parts

That's all sweet. Would have been more understanding if you guys mentioned it like that lol.

plus, most cooler kits are poorly made, hell even the good ones prob need some tweeking and work to fit exact. its a pain and reflected in the price.

yep, carefully removing and trimming the front bat and possibly reo too. cutting the battery tray hole neatly and in the correct spot. making it fit around the washer bottle

If u flex the front bar to much while cutting it u will crack the paint

We charge 440 including gst for clutch install and that includes fresh martini racing gear oil and machining the flywheel it's hardly expensive we only charge around 90 per hour most workshop will charge well over 120 an hour these days as mechanical workshops have a f**k tone of over heads to pay for.

and yeah installing fmic can be a massive pain in the ass and very time consuming

We charge 440 including gst for clutch install and that includes fresh martini racing gear oil and machining the flywheel it's hardly expensive we only charge around 90 per hour most workshop will charge well over 120 an hour these days as mechanical workshops have a f**k tone of over heads to pay for.

and yeah installing fmic can be a massive pain in the ass and very time consuming

cheaper than my local dodgy mechanic.